- Events Calendar
- Online Library
- Special Collections
- About Us
- Contact Us
African History and Culture Lecture Series
Tuesday, April 2, 2013 - 7:00pm
Tuesday, April 9, 2013 - 7:00pm
Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 7:00pm
Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 7:00pm
Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - 7:00pm
Tuesday, May 7, 2013 - 7:00pm
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 7:00pm
- April 2, 2013: "The Sister 6: Great Women Scholars at Howard University," presented by Dr. Ida Jones
- April 9, 2013: "Defeating the Enemy Within: Black Self-Oppression, A Workshop," presented by Carter Ward
- April 16, 2013: "African Women in Fashion, 1800s to the Present," presented by Rosemary E. Reed-Miller
- April 23, 2013: "Ancient Nubia: Kings of the Nile," presented by C.R. Gibbs
- April 30, 2013: "Master Builders: A Documentary Featuring African American Architects," presented by Michelle Jones
- May 7, 2013: "A New Day Begun: The Impact of the Emancipation Proclamation on the District, Maryland, & Virginia," presented by C.R. Gibbs
- May 14, 2013: "Django Who? The True Story of African Americans in the West," presented by C.R. Gibbs
C.R. Gibbs, the main presenter and Founder of this lecture series, is an accomplished author/co-author of six books, a frequent national and international lecturer, and is a noted historian of the African Diaspora.
1999: Founded the African American History & Culture Lecture Series whose scholars continue to provide free presentations in the area.
2009: The Congressional Black Caucus Veterans Braintrust honored C.R. Gibbs for his many years of articles and presentations on African Americans in the United States armed forces.
2011: Gibbs appeared in an episode of the popular History Channel Series, How the States Got Their Shapes and was quoted in the Sunday, October 9, Washington Post Special Civil War 150 Supplement. On Sunday, October 16, he provided historical commentary for WUSA , Channel 9's coverage of the dedication of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial with co-anchor Leslie Foster.
Join us for interesting audio-visual presentations.